Tuesday, April 21, 2020

"wujushu" ("unrestrained," "follow your honed muscular intuition"...)

A friend and I years ago had researched a Japanese Professor's practice and teaching of 'slow jogging'. I caught up with him recently and found that the version of slow jogging he currently practices had evolved into something that shared many key characteristics with my
shake and bake 🏃👨‍🍳🥧 and qigong gorilla philosophy. This is not surprising since we had the same objective of optimizing cardiovascular aerobic exercise for a contemplative lifestyle involving lots of meditation.

I share the following, his brief description of what motivated him to develop that exercise, because it serves as a good case study of 500 of his students for the past two years practicing an aerobic exercise daily and getting great results.

"wujushu" ("unrestrained," "follow your honed muscular intuition"...)
"無拘束" 禪修



I was very interested in issues like:
How do I maintain motivation to work out?
Can I minimize unnecessary discomfort so to maintain my motivation?
How to combat my "cold" constitution (apparently due to many years of vegetarianism and short stints of veganism/raw veganism/sedentary meditation style)?
I know how unreliable my "good" motivation is, and therefore my approach to workout and meditation emphasizes a lot on creating favorable environmental factors that makes giving rise to and maintaining certain intentions easier/natural (I'm very much into subjects like habit formation and habit changing).

For the minimizing discomfort part, I read about cortisol and other stress-induced hormones which apparently are partly responsible for the post-workout fatigue. Cortisol and so are secreted in copious amount when we over-exert ourselves, and a lot of that over-exertion doesn't translate to physical-mental benefits in an efficient manner. Our intuition picks up on that inefficiency and therefore finds workout "unjustifiable"--a theory I have on why I can be lazy when it comes to work out.

I want a workout routine that doesn't diminish a desire to meditate afterwards due to fatigue and discomfort. I want a routine that ideally combine elements of stretching, shaking, massaging, swinging, aerobic, something that would quickly warm up many parts of the body and gets the circulation going in a very specific way as to help jhanic bliss...

For about 2 years now I've been teaching my meditation group (@500 regular attendees) a style of workout called "wujushu" ("unrestrained," "follow your honed muscular intuition"...). This technique is explained in a few of my weekend teaching audios, and is practiced by retreatants at my place. It involves elements of:

adding a great variety of variations to routine yoga postures;
slow jogging in a way that combines
spontaneous waving of limbs,
"bobbing" of head,
stretching of spine,
relaxing and "swinging away" tension,

getting massages/reflexology sessions if one can afford them;
making sure that the intensity of your workout is such that you can smile/not-frown/chat easily during a session (an idea I borrow from the slow-jogging founder);
allow sitting meditation to become something you feel like doing and spend more time on exercising meditation (i.e. sit when you feel that your samadhi is about to culminate, or when you feel like wanting to enjoy bliss in a more settled, intense way)...

No comments:

Post a Comment